WALLA WALLA, Wash. -- The Pioneers dropped game two of their final doubleheader of the season to the Whitman Blues, losing 10-4. The Pios struggled to get runners home, scoring just one run in seven innings before a sacrifice fly from Sammy Benbow and a double from Dylan Moore brought in three in the top of the eighth.
The Pioneers went through five pitchers, who combined to allow 10 earned runs off of 10 hits, with eight strikeouts. Jordan Gonzalez led with three strikeouts, while Jeremy Albert and Isaac Blake each threw two. Nat Richman was credited with the loss.
The Pios got their first run on the board in the fourth inning when a sacrifice fly from Zach Kon brought in Cooper Larson. Larson hit a triple down the right field line to put himself in scoring position. The other three runs of the game cam in the eighth inning, with a sacrifice fly from Sammy Benbow that brought in Joey Oda, who had reached on a single to left field. Dylan Moore then brought in the other two with a double down the left field line to score Matt Donovan and Mike Machado. Donovan had reached on a walk, while Machado singled through the left side to get on base. Michael Contreras walked, putting Donovan and Machado in scoring position.
The Lewis & Clark Pioneers went on the road for the final time this season, taking on the Whitman Blues at Borleske Stadium for an evening doubleheader. The Pios narrowly lost game one 5-4, after remaining scoreless through the first five innings. The Pios were able to score three in the sixth inning thanks to a home run from Matt Donovan and a single from Zack Kon, and brought another run home in the ninth on a passed ball.
Matt Donovan's home run in the top of the sixth brought in two runs for the Pios and put them on the board after five scoreless innings. Donovan has 10 home runs in his four years as a Pioneer, with a career best six in the 2019 season.
- Matt Donovan has scored a career high 30 runs and 26 RBI's this season
- Cooper Larson set career highs in almost every hitting category this season, with 39 hits, 19 runs and 16 RBI's
- Tyler Gannon racked up 22 hits this season
- Dominic Monozon has two wins and seven losses on the season with 32 earned runs and 42 strikeouts
- Dylan Moore has four doubles for the season with eight hits
- Joey Oda has a career high nine runs and 15 hits this season
- Sammy Benbow earned the fourth RBI of his career
The Pioneers finish their 2019 season with a final game against Whitman Sat., Apr. 20.